Monday, September 20, 2004

Countdown

I am now in the final stages of countdown to departure – scheduled for October 1. Real estate has been sold and closing completed. Visas have been secured, as have all the required insurance requirements. An ideal home for Malice Alice has been found chez daughter Samantha and partner Chris. McGregor of course will be traveling with me, although he does not yet realize this. His papers are also in order except for the “certificate of good health” which needs to be done at the final moment. Arrangements for packing and storage of stuff has been planned for next week so that I can squeeze the last bit of use out of this old house and garden that I have come to enjoy so much.

I reflect on how many times I have done this in my life as the familiar conflicting emotions related to leaving familiar and comfortable surroundings and moving to a new and unknown destination rattle around my being. The cool 8-degree Ottawa morning and large brown maple leaves floating in my backyard fishpond motivate me.

Today I have some preparation to do in anticipation of the visit from my sister and her husband Darrell. This will serve to further run down my vast stock of frozen food ingredients that I have been slowly chipping away at over the last month or so in anticipation of my departure. Yesterday I used up all of the frozen pumpkin and so today will have to find a home for a couple of pies. I do not anticipate a problem.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Lang said...

Always happy to help out with the pumpkin pies, Donald. Just whistle. - JL

8:25 AM  
Blogger Don said...

Happy to share a pie with you. Drop by and it is done.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home